[Dibbler] [Bug report] problem with Linux version of dibbler-relay

Roland Renaud roland_renaud at mitel.com
Wed Jun 27 18:07:21 CEST 2007

SUMMARY:
1) The Linux version Dibbler v 0.6.0 doesn't build from source on
   CentOS 4.4 (essentially Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, aka RHEL 4).
   A fix for this is included.

2) There's a problem with the Linux version of the dhcp-relay for
   version 0.6.0 that isn't present on the Windows version.
   Details below.

DETAILS:
1) Build problems and a solution.
- The Linux distribution we're using is CentOS 4.4.
  This is a free version of Red Hat RHEL4.  You can consider them the
  same if it makes any difference to your code.

- Installation of dibbler-0.4.1-1.i386.rpm is straightforward but
  since we found a problem with the dhcp relay, we tried using
  version 0.6.0.

- When using the tar version, we get an error from one of the libraries.
      % cd ~/dibbler/dibbler-0.6.0-RC1
      % ./dibbler-server
      ./dibbler-server: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version
            `CXXABI_1.3.1' not found (required by ./dibbler-server)

      % ls -l /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
      lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 18 Mar  8 16:03 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6
					            -> libstdc++.so.6.0.3

- When building from the sources
      Installation instructions from file doc/dibbler-user.pdf
	Downloaded source
	make server relay
	make install
	mkdir -p /var/lib/dibbler
	    % make server
	    [CONFIG ] /poslib/
	    configure: WARNING: If you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
		If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used.
	    Invalid configuration `rjrl1': machine `rjrl1' not recognized
	    configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub rjrl1 failed
	    make: *** [poslib-configure] Error 1

- To fix this problem:
    tar zxvf dibbler-0.6.0RC4-src.tar.gz
    edit Makefile
      change:
	    cd $(PREFIX)/poslib; test -e "config.h" || ./configure --host=$(HOST) >configure-poslib.log;
	to:
	    cd $(PREFIX)/poslib; test -e "config.h" || ./configure  >configure-poslib.log;

    edit Port-linux/lowlevel-options-linux.c
      Add this line below the stdio.h line
    #include <linux/types.h>

    Information from:
    http://lists.thekelleys.org.uk/pipermail/dnsmasq-discuss/2005q1/000199.html

- I hope this information is useful and doesn't interfere with other
  distributions.

2) Problem with Linux version of dhcp-relay but the Windows version is ok.
- Our initial tests of Dibbler were with v 0.4.1 because the rpm was
  easier to install and due to the problems with v 0.6.0 described above.
- When testing the Linux version of Dibbler v 0.4.1 we found a problem
  with the dhcp-relay.
- Version 0.6.0 on a Windows/XP box doesn't have the problem.
- After building the Linux v 0.6.0, we found that it also has the
  problem.

- Problem description:

    We're using the topology described in "Figure 7: Cascade relays"
    shown on page 56 of the document dibbler-user.pdf provided with
    Dibbler v 0.6.0RC4.

    The first relay is choking on the forwarded DHCPv6 Advertise
    message with this error:
	Invalid option 1792 in RELAY_REPL message.

- I've attached a gzipped tar file containing the files:
     DibblerRelayProblem.txt
     - The output of "dibbler-relay run".
     DibblerRelayProblem.cap
     - A Wireshark capture file taken at the first relay.

- Is there a fix in the Windows version that isn't present in the
  Linux version?

Thanks for providing Dibbler and I hope this information is helpful.

roland

Roland_Renaud at Mitel.COM