[Dibbler-devel] Adding an IPv6 that is already assigned to other host.

Mircea Ciocan mirceac at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 11:48:37 CEST 2016

Dear Tomasz, after simplifying a bit the function that manages addresses
and doing some unit testing (program available at request to not pollute
the list) I have encountered the following situation:

- Adding an OK address works with whatever values for valid and preferred
values.

- Adding a DAD failed address (already allocated)  works ONLY if the valid
time is set to *forever* (0xFFFFFFFF), preferred time does not seem to
matter.
When adding with the ip addr add.. command if the valid and preferred times
are not explicitly mentioned they are set by default to *forever *this is
why the ip command seem to work.

The bad part is that the call to rtnl_talk function returns OK even if the
address is not actually added :-(( and we have to take a decision regarding
on how to deal with this situation, maybe reading the address back to see
it it is there ?

 Please advise what do you think is the best solution now that this ugly
and uncommented Russian spaghetti code (ip code) is still fresh in my mind,
I would rather not touch it anymore if it's not need it.

Did you have any success with the DECLINE message ?

Best regards, MC