[Dibbler-devel] Dibbler client crashes if address is duplicate

Mircea Ciocan mirceac at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 11:45:46 CEST 2016

Hello all, I have deployed the dibbler client in a moderately large network
using ISC DHCP server version 4.1.1 and for some weeks all worked OK, but
now I have the following problem:

In some specific situations the dibbler-client dies without a trace, and
the only messages I have in the DHCP server log:

Jul 21 09:59:24 dhcpd: Client XXXX releases address YYYY
Jul 21 10:00:20 dhcpd: Client XXXX reports address YYYY is already in use
by another host!
Jul 21 10:32:39 dhcpd: Client XXXX reports address YYYY is already in use
by another host!

Afterwards, the dibbler-client suddenly dies, and the device is left
without any valid IPv6 address, thus is becoming unreachable :(.

As far as my research was able to discover could be a situation similar to
this one:

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.dhcp.isc.dhcp-client/8957

While having duplicate DUIDs in a network is a bad thing, but sometimes
this is happening and the client service should not crash but reject the
address, this seem to be a bug.

Tomasz or anybody that knows the code base organisation, could you kindly
point me to the C++ module that deals with this condition to try to see
what is happening and what leads to the crash ?

Many thanks, M.C.