[Dibbler] Query regarding Dibbler source code

Vinod Loganathan RameshKumar vidon2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 22:35:56 CET 2016

Hello,

Thank you for your valuable reply.

Now I'm able to intercept the packets easily using your clue in dibbler. I
have another query, when there are two clients sending the solicit packets
at the same time to the dibbler server, will the dibbler server sends the
advertise/ reply(for rapid-commit) packets to the clients simultaneously?
or will it serve one client first and then the other client later ? is
there any race condition handled by the server ?

Awaiting for your reply.

-Vinod

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 6:28 AM, Tomasz Mrugalski <thomson at klub.com.pl>
wrote:

> On 24.02.2016 22:27, Vinod Loganathan RameshKumar wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Hope you are doing good.
> >
> > I am new to IPv6 and dibbler, I was able to run the dibbler server code
> > to fetch the ipv6 address to the clients. I am successful in doing that.
> > My question is I wanted to intercept the dhcp request and reply packets
> > from the dibbler server. I am not sure where exactly in the source code
> > these packets are obtained. It would be a great help if you guide me to
> > the source code and help me to intercept the dhcp request and reply
> > packets.
> If you're interested in capturing the packets on the server side, I
> strongly recommend you take a look at Kea server: http://kea.isc.org. It
> has an API called hooks. You can develop your own libraries and "hook"
> them into specific operations. In particular there are pkt6_receive and
> pkt6_send hooks. They will provide access to the objects representing
> incoming/outgoing packets in easy to manipulate format. If you prefer to
> get access to raw,binary on-wire format, use buffer6_receive and
> buffer6_send. See this documentation for details:
> http://git.kea.isc.org/~tester/kea/doxygen/d1/d02/dhcpv6Hooks.html
> If you have any questions about Kea, more appropriate place to look
> would be kea-dev (https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/kea-dev).
>
> If you're inclined in doing that in dibbler you still can, but it's more
> convoluted. See methods TIfaceSocket::send and TIfaceSocket::recv.
> They call low-level wrappers dedicated to each OS. Grep the code and
> find where they are called from (hint: IfaceMgr::select and
> TSrvMgr::send are good places to look).
>
> Hope that helps,
> Tomek

L R Vinod