[Dibbler] Multiple instances of dibbler running on per interface basis

Mircea Ciocan mirceac at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 18:53:46 CEST 2016

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 6:09 PM, Tomasz Mrugalski <thomson at klub.com.pl>
wrote:

> On 03.06.2016 17:19, Mircea Ciocan wrote:
> > Hello, I need to have dibbler running as individual instances per
> > interface ( like dhcpcd or other DHCP clients are doing it).
>
> > Is there a way to launch dibbler with different configuration files
> > where it binds to a specific interface and not having conflicting leases
> > databases, pid file and such ?
> Maybe. By default dibbler read /etc/dibbler/client.conf and writes its
> files in /var/lib/dibbler. However, some time ago there was -w command
> line option implemented that specifies the directory. If specified,
> dibbler-client is supposed to read and write all files from/to that
> directory. It was never tested, so I consider it experimental and as
> such it was never documented.
>
> Another thing you may try to tweak in such environment is to disable
> socket SO_REUSE_ADDR flag. See --enable-bind-reuse in configure script.
> By default Dibbler sets this flag. I values recall some issues when it
> was not set, so I left it enabled ages ago and nobody complained about
> it. However, when you try to run multiple instances, you should be extra
> cautious to be sure that each interface is serviced by at most one
> instance. Hence disabling bind-reuse looks like a good safety measure
> for your scenario.
>
> > It wil be a great help on an embedded system with busybox where
> > everything should be set in /etc/network/interfaces and managed by the
> > ifupdown program.
> Feel free to try the -w option. If it works, great! If not, make sure
> your report the problem (or maybe send a patch that fixes it?). In any
> case please report your findings.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Tomek
>
> Hello Tomasz and thanks again for your fast answer, indeed the -w seem to
be quick and good answer for such a use case.
The client config file is build auto-magically in the ifupdown.c module of
the busybox, so there is no practical chance of trying to service the same
interface with multiple dibbles.
I'll do some more testing and then add a follow-up to this message about
how it worked, because in embedded environments busybox rules and all the
other dhcp clients can be launched individually per interface.
Now that we could have the individual pid number file and a way to have
personalized configs per interface then is perfect.

 Cheers, Mircea