[Dibbler] Problems with short renewal time and Windows clients

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Fri Jun 3 18:43:30 CEST 2016

Your problems doesn't seem to have anything to do with multiple
interfaces. Why do you respond in this thread? In the future please
start a new one. The whole idea of having a public mailing list is that
people can search for answers if similar problems to their own were
asked and answered before.

On 03.06.2016 18:11, DICK,  L. (MR.) wrote:
> Hello
> I have deployed IPv6 with Dibbler DHCP Server but my problem is, windows
> client PCs can get  IP addresses from the DHCP  for 3 to 5 seconds  and
Your dibbler config file says the server sets renew timer (T1) for 3 to
5 seconds. It does what you told it to do. If you specify a range, then
dibbler-server accepts values from that range of whatever clients sents
as hints. Windows most likely sends something much longer, so dibbler
will use 5 seconds. Both server and client do what you tell them to do.
I don't understand what the problem is.

If you don't want your clients to renew so frequently why did you set t1
(and t2) to such low values?

> lose them. The PC will automatically renew and get the IP addresses
What do you mean lose them? Renewal should not cause address to
disappear from the interface.

Which DHCPv6 client are you using? The one built-in windows (which
windows version?) or dibbler-client running on windows machines?

> again. This is intermittent  throughout. Please assist me andI have
>  shared the config of the Dibbler Server and Router Vlan interface.
I'll ask out of curiosity why do you have 2 pools defined?

I'm not an expert with vlans, so can't really advise with those.
Your router have DHCPv6 relay enabled. If you want this to be configured
by dibbler, you will need to modify your config file.
This is well documented. See Section 5.3.8 and 5.3.18 of the Dibbler
User's Guide.