[Dibbler] Query regarding Dibbler source code

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Feb 25 14:28:47 CET 2016

On 24.02.2016 22:27, Vinod Loganathan RameshKumar wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Hope you are doing good.
>
> I am new to IPv6 and dibbler, I was able to run the dibbler server code
> to fetch the ipv6 address to the clients. I am successful in doing that.
> My question is I wanted to intercept the dhcp request and reply packets
> from the dibbler server. I am not sure where exactly in the source code
> these packets are obtained. It would be a great help if you guide me to
> the source code and help me to intercept the dhcp request and reply
> packets.
If you're interested in capturing the packets on the server side, I
strongly recommend you take a look at Kea server: http://kea.isc.org. It
has an API called hooks. You can develop your own libraries and "hook"
them into specific operations. In particular there are pkt6_receive and
pkt6_send hooks. They will provide access to the objects representing
incoming/outgoing packets in easy to manipulate format. If you prefer to
get access to raw,binary on-wire format, use buffer6_receive and
buffer6_send. See this documentation for details:
http://git.kea.isc.org/~tester/kea/doxygen/d1/d02/dhcpv6Hooks.html
If you have any questions about Kea, more appropriate place to look
would be kea-dev (https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/kea-dev).

If you're inclined in doing that in dibbler you still can, but it's more
convoluted. See methods TIfaceSocket::send and TIfaceSocket::recv.
They call low-level wrappers dedicated to each OS. Grep the code and
find where they are called from (hint: IfaceMgr::select and
TSrvMgr::send are good places to look).

Hope that helps,