[Dibbler] Script not executed initially and other questions

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Nov 26 14:24:29 CET 2015

On 25.11.2015 17:45, Daniel Kenzelmann wrote:
> I've got a problem with running a script after it pulled a prefix.
>
> I am running it on a DSL connection with PPPoE.
> The DSL provider reconnects after 24 hours and hands out a new prefix
> every time.
>
> I want to use radvd to use stateless autoconfiguration in my internal
> network using the new prefix obtained via DHCPv6 (using dibbler).
>
> My plan was to restart radvd via a script that is executed once we get a
> prefix.
>
> However it seems the script (the script option in client.conf) is not
> executed initially, so this does not allow me to restart radvd once the
> prefix changed (after the reconnect). As far as I can see it is executed
> after 2 hours (RENEW?)
>
> As you can see below, I am getting a prefix and radvd.conf is created
> accordingly. However the script is not executed. (so I can not restart
> radvd from there)
> "Script execution skipped for REPLY response to SOLICIT. No action
> needed for this message type."
Aaah, I see the problem. You seem to be using rapid-commit. The exchange
you're having is SOLICT-REPLY, instead of
SOLICIT-ADVERTISE-REQUEST-REPLY. As a quick workaround, you may try
disabling rapid commit. This seems like a very easy fix.

Can you get the latest version from git and check whether the script is
called?

> My questions are:
>
> 1. Is there a way to run a script once the prefix has been obtained?
Hopefully yes. Check git master.

> 2. If the script would run, in the script, can I directly access the
> prefix(es) somehow? (e.g. via environment variable or parameters)
I don't remember off hand. See the User's Guide, all the variables are
listed there. Another nice trick is to put "set" command in your script.
It will print out all variables that are set.

> 3. When using multiple downlink interfaces prefixes are automatically
> split in /64 subnets which is fine. However when only using a single
> interface in "downlink-prefix-ifaces", the full /56 prefix is used. (in
> radvd.conf). Is there a way to tell dibbler to still split it to /64
> size so I can use SLAAC on my clients?
Yes. Check prefix-tweaks branch:

git clone git at github.com:tomaszmrugalski/dibbler.git
cd dibbler
git checkout prefix-tweaks
./configure
make

This puts you in somewhat tricky situation. You can choose whether you
want the prefix to be /64 or the script be called :) But that's ok.
Once you confirm that both fixes work, I'll merge prefix-tweaks to
master and will give you a unified version.