[Dibbler] dibbler-client does not start (Lubuntu 14.04)

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Mon Jan 19 11:43:32 CET 2015

On 19.01.2015 10:57, Schneider, Simon (NSN - DE/Dusseldorf) wrote:
> Hi,
> I’m trying to play with DHCPv6 to learn the protocol and its
> configuration using dibbler.
>
> I use two virtual machines running Lubuntu 14.04.
>
> I have installed the dibbler-server on one machine and the
> dibbler-client on the other.
>
> Starting the dibbler-server seems to work.
>
> However, I can’t get the dibbler-client to start – and I also don't get
> any error messages that would help me to troubleshoot.
Use dibbler-client run

run will print out all messages on the console, while start will attempt
to run as a daemon. You'll see what's wrong. Couple common issues:
- not running as root
- missing config file in /etc/dibbler/client.conf
- missing /var/run/dibber directory

Did you create the config file? There are many examples in doc/examples.
The bare minimum is to specify interface name, where you want to get an
address, a prefix and/or options and which options.

Hope that helps,