[Dibbler] Solicit Client-Id Problem

Куприяшин Михаил kmickle at yandex.ru
Wed Apr 1 11:52:49 CEST 2015

Greetings, Dibbler community!

I have a Windows Server 2008 machine with two separate Ethernet
interfaces. The first one is connected to LAN and configured with static
IPv4. The second is connected to WAN and uses DHCP to get both IPv4 and
IPv6 leases.

Ever since the IPv6 protocol was enabled, I have problems getting an
IPv6 lease. Sometimes the address is absent. Sometimes it is present for
~1 hour after the boot, but the machine is unable to renew the lease.

Careful analysis of DHCPv6 traffic showed, that the Solicit message
broadcasted from the WAN interface is malformed: being sent from the
second (WAN) interface it has the MAC address of the first (LAN)
interface in the "Link-Local Address" field of the Solicit message. So,
the Advertise messages sent in reply are discarded, as if they are
intended for another machine.

Even more curious: sometimes the machine IS able to get and refresh the
lease, but the "working" Solicit message is still malformed as described
above.

The problem appears either with the Dibbler client and with the regular
Windows client. I appreciate any information or help on the issue.
Provider's technical support is trying to identify the problem, but they
have had no luck so far; no reply from Microsoft community either.