[Dibbler] Dibbler 1.0.0 released!

Tomek Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Nov 6 22:37:04 CET 2014

This is the 1.0.0 release of the Dibbler software.

After over 11 years, Dibbler project finally reaches 1.0.0. This
significant milestone was planned when all features described in
RFC3315, a document that specifies DHCPv6, were implemented. It took
radically more time then I initially thought. But here it is - a
portable DHCPv6 implementation that features a server, a client, relay
agent and a leasequery requestor.

It works on a variety of Windows operating systems, starting from XP to
8, Linux, Mac OS, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD. It may compile or even
partially work on other systems.

There are a handful of fixes since 1.0.0RC2 and one small feature: the
server may be told to reject incoming unicast traffic with status code
UseMulticast. According to my knowledge, this was the last missing feature.

As you may have noticed, Dibbler development slowed down considerably
in the last couple years. The reason is that I'm now involved in a new
DHCP implementation, which takes more than 40 hours a week. It's simply
a matter of work/life balance. I'm no longer able to dedicate
significant amount of time for further Dibbler development.

So is the project dead? No, I will still fix bugs occasionally. If
there are patches that do not require significant rework, I may review
and accept them. Even new features may appear occasionally, but they
will be infrequent. My plan is to keep Dibbler alive long enough for
Kea, the new project I'm involved in , to be a viable alternative. As of
today, it has many of the server features, but still lacks client, relay
and requestor components.

See CHANGELOG for a complete list of changes.

If you find bugs, please report them on http://klub.com.pl/bugzilla/.
Appropriate links are on project website: http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/.
If you need help or want to share your thoughts, take a look at one
of two mailing lists: dibbler or dibbler-devel. Please do not contact
author directly, unless you want to report security issues or discuss
confidential matters.

Thank you for using Dibbler.

			       Tomek Mrugalski,
			       author