[Dibbler] DDNS Update problems

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 15:48:13 CEST 2014

Tomasz Mrugalski <thomson at klub.com.pl> wrote:

> The logic is simple: if it is a response to REQUEST or RELEASE, do the
> update. Otherwise skip the update. Can you post more complete log?
> (feel free to send it off the list if you're not comfortable with
> publishing in on the ML).
>
> I was wondering whether doing the update for RENEW and REBIND makes
> sense, but so far I haven't encountered any convincing use case where it
> would be useful. However, if you have one, please come forward and I may
> add a knob to turn updates for RENEWs and REBINDs.

Just an FYI ...
On the ISC server, they store a record of the DNS update with the lease. If the update fails for any reason, there won't be DNS info in the lease and the server will try again on every renewal. Once an update has been recorded, it doesn't try again.
It also uses this information to remove DNS entries when a lease expires.