[Dibbler] Dibbler client sleeps way too long

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Jan 9 18:29:30 CET 2014

On 09.01.2014 18:12, Plamen Doykov wrote:
> I am trying to make a ttylinux derived Linux connect to a DHCPv6 server
> (Windows 2k8R2 in my current setup).
> Since busybox' udhcpc6 is not working, I tried using Dibbler client and
> downloaded an rpm to give it a try (dibbler-0.7.3-3mdv2011.0.i586.rpm). It
> works fine if I start the service manually after logging (dibbler-client
> start), but if started at startup, it hangs (it is started by rc.sysinit
> after all other services).
> When I try to run it (dibbler-client run), it starts sleeping for a very
> large amount of time (see below). The configuration file is the default
> one (except for "log-level 8").
> I've downloaded version 0.8.2, too but couldn't try it because of libc
> versions incompatibility. This is not trivial to sort out, so I wanted to
> ask before going that way.
> My question is - is this a known issue, that is eventually fixed in a
> newer version? Or is there something I can try without diving deep (like
> debugging the client)?
It is not an issue. The code works as expected. The problem (or rather -
configuration peculiarity) is with your server. It sets T1 (the timer
after the client is supposed to wake up and start renewing) to 345600
seconds, which happens to be 4 days. I would say that such overly long
timers are not really apropriate even for very fixed networks (like
cable modems). The largest values I saw was lease lifetime of 1 week,
with the renewal happening once every 3,5 days.

Please don't use 0.7.3. It's several years old. There were tons of
critical bugfixes since then. Please use 1.0.0RC1 or better yet, git
version. I also plan to release 1.0.0RC2 very soon (next couple days).

I can't help you with the run vs. start issue. Start should just switch
to background as a daemon and immediately return. Quick look at the
CHANGELOG
(https://github.com/tomaszmrugalski/dibbler/blob/master/CHANGELOG),
you'll find some fixes in the area since the version you're using.

If you're going to use the newer version, you may take a look a section
2.17 of Dibbler Developer's Guide. In particular, now you can compile
the code without DDNS, without auth and without link-state change
detection, which should make the resulting code considerably smaller.

Hope that helps,