[Dibbler] Dibbler development and related activities

Tomek Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Mar 28 14:49:58 CET 2013

Hi,

I wanted to write a bit about my involvement in the Dibbler project.
Recently I was appointed a new position. I became a co-chair of a DHC
working group in IETF. This is not a full time job, just additional
responsibility or plainly speaking extra things that need to be done.

For me, it's a big responsibility. If I mess up something with Dibbler -
oh well, one implementation is broken. If I mess up something in IETF,
*all* implementations out there could become broken. I'm quite scared
about such possibility, so I'm threading carefully there.

Why am I writing this to Dibbler mailing list? Because this new
challenge will make me to spend less time on Dibbler. As you may have
noticed, recently the traffic on the list intensified a bit, which is
great, because it means that more people deploy IPv6 and use Dibbler. On
the other hand, there are more requests and bug fixes that I can handle.
I will try respond to all of them, it just will take more time.

I'm also afraid I'll have to be more selective regarding what I do in
Dibbler. It's not a matter of rejecting certain less popular or less
critical features, but rather a priority management. I'd like to
apologize to all those people who are not getting any responses yet.

Obvious common sense applies here. If you're so interested in certain
feature that you spent time to investigate the problem, developed a
patch and submitted it, you are more likely to get my attention. If
you're working for a big corporation that employs tens of thousands
engineers, but you still expect me to do all the work for you - well,
you may be slightly out of luck. I'll still try to help, but it may take
a long time.

On a related note, I'm looking for people, who'd like to join Dibbler
project. C++ knowledge and network knowledge are two non-negotiable
requirements. The ability to dedicate some time is a third one. Please
contact me on or off the list if you're interested.

p.s.
No, I'm not closing Dibbler project. It will continue, albeit on a
somewhat slower pace.