[Dibbler] PD client questions

Tomek Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Sun Jul 14 23:18:01 CEST 2013

On 13-07-10 16:03, Mathias Koerber wrote:
> I would like to find out more on how dibbler
> uses assigned prefixes on a Linux (RHEL6-64) system.
>
> I can get my PD delegated, and the dibbled-client log
> tells me it that it is assigning those prefixes (split)
> to the interfaces:
>
> My prefixes are advertising varying Preferred Lifetimes.
>
> Hoewver, the generated radvd.conf does not seem to indicate the
> preferred lifetime:

> Should dibbler-client not also set AdvPreferredLifetime

It probably should. I modified the code to include AdvPreferredLifetime
parameter, but I'm not really sure if it will work as expected. Once the
client receives a PD (let's say T1=500, preferred=1000, valid=2000), it
generates the radvd.conf. radvd will start announcing that prefix. After
some time, e.g. 400 seconds, the delegated prefix lease time is lower by
400 seconds, so preferred-lifetime is 600 and valid lifetime is 1600,
but the radvd will happily announce preferred lifetime of 1000. I don't
have any ready to use solutions to solve that problem.

Anyway, I've added AdvPreferredLifetime. I hope they are ok, but I
haven't checked. Please check the latest git code.

If you need any future tweaks, I encourage you to take a look at:
Please take a look at Port-linux/lowlevel-options-linux.c, function
prefix_add.

Patches are welcome :)

Hope that helps,