[Dibbler] Dibbler testing problems

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Wed Feb 13 17:43:40 CET 2013

On 13.02.2013 14:46, Rapoport, MichaelX wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm testing the Dibbler DHCPv6 with the CDRouter.
No, you aren't, at least not with those tests that you provided. What
you sent are log files from various tests, but none of them is testing
DHCPv6.

> There are several failing tests that I attach to the mail.
> Each Test case has a Standard sentence, complete Logger and Wireshark traces.
This is a mailing list for Dibbler, a DHCPv6 client and server software.
Many of your logs do not include even a single DHCPv6 packet at all.
Some of them include DHCPv4 traffic. Dibbler does not and will not
support obsolete technologies such as DHCPv4. In those rare cases when
your captures include DHCPv6 traffic, the server and client operation
appears correct.

Out of sympathy to my former employer (hi, Intel) I went through your
log files, but none of them have anything to do with Dibbler.

Here are some clues that may help you understand what's going on in your
network:
DNS 46. Your client sends RENEW that is accepted by Dibbler server and
valid response is sent. Your client requests 3 extra options:
dns-servers, domain name and server unicast. Dibbler server is
apparently configured to only provide dns-servers, so the other 2
options are not present. The rest is a set of DNS queries which have
nothing to do with Dibbler.

DNS 150. You got me severly confused with this one. There's a single DNS
packet that have no relevance to DHCPv6 at all.

DNS 45: There are 182 DNS packets, but no DHCPv6 packets. Those DNS
queries were not generated by Dibbler.

ICMP 30: This is even more out of place here. This is a test about Path
MTU discovery for IPv6. Absolutely not even remote relation to DHCPv6.

> The problem is clearly seen in the *.txt file.
Yes. It is also clear than none of those failures are related to DHCPv6
or Dibbler. Are you sure you know what you are doing?