[Dibbler] Authorization/authentication in Dibbler

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Tue Apr 23 23:07:10 CEST 2013

Dibbler implements authentication/authorization that is loosely based on
draft-ram-dhc-dhcpv6-aakey-01 that expired in 2006 and seems otherwise
long forgotten. I recently reviewed the code and it seems to not
implement OPTION_AUTH format correctly. There's a lot of old and kludgy
code around it. I'm in a process of cleaning it up, but it will require
some option format updates. The new implementation will likely support
reconfigure key, used in reconfigure mechanism, replay detection and
possibly other goodies.

Is anyone using authentication/authorization in Dibbler?  It will become
RFC3315 compliant, but it will break down compatibility with earlier
Dibbler versions (only if you use authentication and/or authorization).
When upgrading both server and client, things will continue to work.
Just the mix of old client/new server (or vice versa) will cause
problems. Would that be an issue for anyone?