[Dibbler] Problem configuring Dibbler.... Need Help

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Apr 4 13:15:35 CEST 2013

On 03.04.2013 19:46, Michael David wrote:
> I have got a new server from online.net <http://online.net>
>
> Now, I am trying to setup IPV6 for my server - i.e. get an IPV6 address
> for my server. Online.net uses dibbler.
>
> I have set up dibbler (latest stable version) from source on CentOS 6.
> When I run dibbler-client run
>
> And no ipv6 address gets assigned to the eth0 interface.
What are you trying to accomplish here: get an address, get a prefix or
both?

Here are bare bone configs:
# client.conf - get an address
iface eth0 {
   ia
}

# client.conf - get a prefix
iface eth0 {
   pd
}

# client.conf - get an address and a prefix
iface eth0 {
   ia
   pd
}

Of course, you should add extra things to your client.conf - to get DNS
server, to configure logging etc.

> Then I thought, I need to setup dhcpclient also as per their instructions. I have done the same.
I don't understand their documentation, because I'm not educated enough
to speak French. Sorry. In general, it is very bad idea to run two
separate DHCPv6 clients at the same time. Often it will not be possible,
because both will try to open the same port. If Dibbler is run first and
was compiled with bind reuse (that's the default), you may be able to
run both, but still the software will get confused as it will receive
packets that the other client sent. Please don't do that.

> Please can someone tell me how to get 2 static IPV6 addresses assigned to my server.
Sure. That's easy with dibbler:

# client.conf - ask for 2 addresses
iface eth0 {
  ia
  ia
}

Jean-Jacques suggested that you put specific values in your client.conf.
You can do it, but I recommend against that. Those values will be sent
as hints to the server. They are just that - hints. This does not
guarantee that server will assign them. It is perfectly valid for the
server to accept or ignore those hints.

Previous example will make the client to send 2 IA_NA options and the
server will assign one address in each. This is the most portable way as
it should work with any server. For the completeness, I'll mention that
there's another way of requesting 2 addresses. You can send one IA_NA
with 2 addresses in it. If the server is smart enough, it will
understand that you want to have 2 addresses in that single IA_NA. Many
servers simply ignore those hints and will assign just one address, so
this may not work for you.
iface eth0 {
  ia { address address }
}

Of course both approaches can be mixed. And you can include any
combination of ia (normal addresses), ta (temporary addresses) and pd
(prefixes). It depends on how gentle you want to be on your operator :)

> That is all I want to do and I have been trying for the last 10 hrs with absolutely no support from my host :-(
When everything else fails, please read the manual :)
I encourage you to read Dibbler User's Guide. This is explained there,
with examples. See doc/dibbler-user.pdf in Dibbler sources.

Hope that helps,