[Dibbler] Multiple dns-server options

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Jul 5 20:25:29 CEST 2012

On 05.07.2012 18:24, Marc Warne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My dibbler server configuration has the following in it:
>
> option dns-server 2001:4860:8010::67, 2001:4860:8010::68,
> 2001:4860:8010::63
>
> My dibbler client (Debian Squeeze current) nicely puts these three
> values into /var/lib/dibbler/option-dns-servers but in /etc/resolv.conf,
> I only see the one nameserver:
>
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 2001:4860:8010::67
>
> 1. Shouldn't this have all three nameservers in it?
Ok, I know why that doesn't work for you. You are using resolvconf. That
tool writes /etc/resolv.conf when something changes in your system and
overwrites changes to the file. Note that capitalized warning. Your
changes will be overwritten. That is exactly what happens here.

Fortunately, there's easy way to solve this. If you are using
resolvconf, compile dibbler to use it as well. This should solve your
problems:

./configure --enable-resolvconf
make

I run some tests and client code is working as expected. It configures 3
DNS addresses if the server tell him so. I tried both default (no
resolvconf tool) and with --enable-resolvconf. Both seem to work as
expected.

If my recommendation does not solve your problem, can you verify that
your client log file contains similar lines:

17:23 Client Notice Setting up DNS server 1000::2 on interface eth2/4.
17:23 Client Notice Setting up DNS server 2000::2 on interface eth2/4.
17:23 Client Notice Setting up DNS server 3000::3 on interface eth2/4.