[Dibbler] Multiple dns-server options

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Jul 5 18:45:40 CEST 2012

On 05.07.2012 18:24, Marc Warne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My dibbler server configuration has the following in it:
>
> option dns-server 2001:4860:8010::67, 2001:4860:8010::68,
> 2001:4860:8010::63
>
> My dibbler client (Debian Squeeze current) nicely puts these three
> values into /var/lib/dibbler/option-dns-servers but in /etc/resolv.conf,
> I only see the one nameserver:
>
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
> nameserver 2001:4860:8010::67
Hmmm, are you using resolvconf? That is a stand-alone helper tool that
allows synchronization between various tools that intend to update
/etc/resolv.conf. There's --enable-resolvconf flag in configure script.

> 1. Shouldn't this have all three nameservers in it?
It should. I need to check that, but it looks like a regression after
recent merge of the resolvconf patch. Most probably it's a bug.

> 2. Can I offer IPv4 dns-server addresses in the server configuration?
> The git version of the server I'm using seems to complain about this.
Good! It should do that, as the DNS_SERVERS option does not offer such
opportunity. See RFC3646 for details. IPv6 addresses only.

Please use DHCPv4 client to configure IPv4 addresses.

On a side note, one of the goals of Dibbler is to hasten IPv6 adoption.
I personally have zero interest with touching IPv4. I consider it a
legacy technology :) That's one of the reasons why things that possible
could be done over both protocols (like DNS Updates) are exclusively
over IPv6.