[Dibbler] MAC/Link address Client Scope

Marc Warne lists at gigatux.com
Wed Jul 4 16:03:16 CEST 2012

On 04.07.2012 14:30, Tomasz Mrugalski wrote:
> On 04.07.2012 14:23, Marc Warne wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to use Dibbler probably in a way it shouldn't, but I'm
>> wondering if a) my request makes sense, and b) whether this is
>> something
>> that could be incorporated into Dibbler. I noted in the plan for
>> 0.9.0
>> that we have 'Better client classification support', so I'm hopeful.
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>   1. Does this even make sense from an IPv6 perspective.
>
> Yes, but some people may object. In a general case, the reservation
> could be done using link-layer address.

Great to hear. And combined with your second point about how to learn
about the MAC address, I do recognise that it's not guaranteed to
traverse any kind of proxy (or anything really) so it has to be direct
traffic. I have absolutely no objection to link-layer based reservations
and certainly in my situation, I can make a default assumption
connecting a link layer address to a MAC (or, in reality, just assigning
unique prefixes to different link layer addresses that I would
preconfigure).

I understand the reasoning for explicitly not trying to determine this
from the DUID so I'm not going down that route!

I'll check out the code contributed by Mickael Marchand and respond in
due course. It's great news to hear that something has been done on it
and I'll see if there's any possibility of me tidying anything up. I'll
take this track of the conversation to dibbler-devel.

Thanks,

Marc

P.S. Sorry - I always keep on naturally typing Diddler!
--
Marc Warne
GigaTux, Linux VPS Hosting

Please reply directly to info at gigatux.com as this email address is not