[Dibbler] Problems getting started

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 18:14:08 CET 2012

I've been taking part in my ISPs end-user IPv6 testing. I've tried
Dibbler because I want the scripting ability - but having trouble
getting things going.

First off, the packages for Debian are a bit out of date, are there
plans to update them ?

Secondly, I've built 0.8.1 from source but struggled to get the
script option to work. In debugging this, I've spotted a couple of
minor documentations errors.
http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/doc/dibbler-user.pdf

On P30, is shows the path to the script without quotes. By trial and
error I've determined that a simple file name can be used without
quotes (but the script needs to be in the working directory), or the
path/filename needs to be in quotes.
Eg,
   script /var/lib/dibbler/script.sh
doesn't work - it results in the error :
   Config parse error: line 6, unexpected [/] token.

But
   script "/var/lib/dibbler/script.sh"
does work

On the same page, it says
"Options are passed as environment variables. For example client DUID
(conveyed in option code 1), will be passed as OPTION1". While in the
environment it's seen as SRV_OPTION1

Thirdly, is it possible to have the script called if the I/F goes
down and/or on quitting the client - though I guess there could be
complications in terms of what information to pass in non-trivial
setups ? I'll be looking to see if the PPP daemon will call a script
if the link goes down - if so then I should be able to stash the
details from the dhcp client and have the second script deconfigure
stuff as required.

Lastly, is there a simple way to prevent the client doing anything
with DNS (munging resolv.conf) or addresses ? I'm running an internal
resolving nameserver so I don't want resolv.conf fiddling with, and
my script will be taking care of addressing - as well as routing, DNS
entries, radvd config, and eventually dhcpv6 server config.

--
Simon Hobson