[Dibbler] Is there a way to make dibbler request a Prefix Delegation and then give out prefix delegations on downstream links?

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Sat Jan 7 16:08:51 CET 2012

On 02.01.2012 01:52, Erik Andersen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to understand if/how DHCPv6 could be IPv6's replacement for
> DHCP+NAT in IPv4.
>
> Say you have a router with ports eth0, eth1, and eth2. eth0 is
> considered the upstream port and eth1 and eth2 are considered downstream
> ports. Is there a way to set Dibbler up to request a prefix delegation
> on eth0 and then take the block it gets and offer addresses and smaller
> blocks of addresses on eth1 and eth2?
Hi,
It is possible, but you are basically want to run a server based on
actions done by a client. That is doable in 0.8.1. Client can call a
script (see User's Guide, section 4.7). It explains how to configure a
script that will be called once client receives a reply. In particular,
this script should check that prefix is assigned and then generate
server.conf and (re)start server.

Client also generates radvd.conf. You probably should consider
(re)starting radvd after prefix is assigned.

That is quite new functionality. I'd like to get your comments on if/how
it works. If there are things that can be done differently, please feel
free to comment on this list.