[Dibbler] What is the server unicast option for?

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Dec 3 08:35:51 CET 2009

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 somebody known as Karl Auer wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 19:07 +0100, Keshi LI (gmail) wrote:
>> I configure dibbler-server to use unicast option like this:
>
> What is this option and why would one want to use it?

Usually, all communication involving clients (client---server or first hop
of client---relay---server) is multicast. In some cases, it is desirable
to reveal server's global unicast address, so client will be communicating
directly. A side effect is that in relayed network, clients can bypass
relays and communicate directly.

See section 22.12 of RFC3315 for details regarding Server Unicast option.

My personal oppinion is that there are too many gotchas for this option to
be very usable. But it was defined, so I've implemented it.