[Dibbler] Dibbler on multiple dynamic dial-in devices

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Tue Nov 11 20:38:48 CET 2008

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 somebody known as Torge Szczepanek wrote:

> I am currently builing a ipv6 capable dial-in server, which should do
> prefix delegation on the dynamically created ppp devices.
>
> It currently seems not to be possible to use dibbler (or any other
> dhcpv6 linux Software) to do prefix delegation on the dynamically
> created devices, since I can only start dibbler on a fixed device, which
> must be up.
>
> Is there a solution for this or are there plans to implement this?
Yes and no. This particular feature was not planned, but there are no
plans to implement reconfiguration support. To do that, server will be
able to restart, without losing current assignments. So after you create
new ppp device, you will be able to write new server.conf file and trigger
server to load new config and adjust its own configuration.

Sounds good, but there's a catch. I don't have time to implement this. In
fact, I'm desperately trying to find some time to finish my Ph.D and I
don't do any active Dibbler development until I get my dissertation
complete.

> It would be nice to have this feature at least in the dhcpv6 relay
> agent.
Yes, it would. Would you be willing to implement such feature in the
dibbler code?