[Dibbler] Mixed stateless autoconfiguration and DHCP

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Thu Jun 26 16:26:34 CEST 2008

Hi there.

After many months away, I'm returning for another of CMOT's buns.

I'm trying to set up a subnet where stateless autoconfiguration and
DHCPv6 are mixed.

The difficulty I have is that even if I set the "dynamic" flag on the
client's interface to off, the interface still sets up an address via
stateless autoconfiguration as soon as a router starts advertising.

The dynamic flag does seem to be used and understood in other ways. If I
set it on, a "DYNAMIC" attribute appears on the interface. That
attribute disappears if I turn the flag off. Also, flushing dynamic
addresses discards the address obtained via stateless autoconfiguration.
Have I misunderstood the purpose of the "dynamic" flag?

Note that turning off stateless autoconfiguration in the RA messages is
not an option. The whole point is that some machines should get their
addresses that way, but some should get their addresses via DHCPv6.

Any ideas? How can I stop an interface obtaining an address via
stateless autoconfiguration? I suppose I could just flush any dynamic
addresses once the DHCPv6 address has been obtained, but that seems very
kludgy.

Regards, K.

PS:  Turn dynamic flag off  : ip link set dynamic off dev eth1
     Turn dynamic flag on   : ip link set dynamic on dev eth1
     Display link attributes: ip link show dev eth1
     Flush dynamic addresses: ip addr flush dynamic dev eth1

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: DD23 0DF3 2260 3060 7FEC 5CA8 1AF6 D9E3 CFEE 6B28
Public key at  : random.sks.keyserver.penguin.de