[Dibbler] Dibbler 0.7.1 released

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Mon Jun 23 12:38:47 CEST 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 somebody known as ?? wrote:

> I know there is a bug about Confirm Msg in Dibbler v0.7.0 that is
> Dibbler-Client can't sent Confirm message. I want to know whether this bug
> is fixed in the newest version or in any plan of future version?
It's not a bug, but a missing functionality. And no, it's not implemented
in 0.7.1 yet.

Can you describe a scenario that you would like client to send CONFIRM?

In general, there are 2 cases (both are not supported yet):
1. client starts after crash/power outage and detects that is has still
valid lease, so it sends CONFIRM instead of normal server discovery
(solicit/request)

2. during operation, client detects that link went down and then up.
Then it sends confirm to verify if current address is valid.

Second scenario is quite difficult, because there's no general mechanism
for detecting link up/down events. They're coded difrerently in Windows
and Linux. So don't expect second scenario to be working anytime soon.

The first one is easier to do. But it requires some xml parser. And that
in turn makes binary bigger. As I have fixed Dibbler port to some embedded
environment (OpenWRT), that may be undesirable.

Anyway, I may be able to code scenario 1. Scenario 2 is planned for a
rather distant future, unless someone is willing to help.