[Dibbler] dibbler-server an debian-armel

Christian Andersen lists at milindur.de
Sat Aug 16 01:50:35 CEST 2008

Hallo,

> According to RFC4704 (FQDN), section 4.2 domain names must be coded as
> specified in RFC3315, section 8. RFC3315 in section 8 states that
> domain
> encoding must be stored in a compressed form as explained in section
> 3.1
> of RFC1035. And here's the corresponding part of that RFC:
>
> Each label is represented as a one octet length field followed by that
> number of octets.
>
> Microsoft just puts domain name and terminates it with 0.
> That is *wrong*.

I looked at this issue again and tried Windows Vista with wide-dhcpv6-server
(works on my device).

Vista sends Solicit- and Request-message with wrong encoded FQDN field.
wide-dhcpv6-server answers with Advertise- and Reply-message. I configured
the server to send a Domain search list to the client. This domain list is
encoded correctly (in compliance with RFC). But Vista misinterprets this and
splits the domain into its label parts and uses each label as domain.

Example:
Domain Search List in Advertise/Reply:
* sub.domain.de

Vista interprets this as:
* sub
* domain
* de

The result is quite funny. I can enter "ping t-online" and get responses
from "t-online.de".

I do not think that this option in DHCPv6 was meant to work this way.

Regards,
Christian