[Dibbler] dibbler-server an debian-armel

Christian Andersen lists at milindur.de
Sat Aug 16 00:20:56 CEST 2008


Hallo,

> I'm not 100% sure (see below), but I believe I've tracked the rootcause
> of
> this issue.
> 
> Short answer: it's a Vista bug that confuses dibbler.
> 
> [...]
> 
> http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/snapshots/2008-08-15-possible-vista-bug-
> workaround/

Thanks for the further investigation and the snapshot. I tried this snapshot
with the client of Vista and with dibbler-client (on Debian/x86) but without
success. In all cases dibbler-server cannot interpret the SOLICIT-message.
Maybe it is really an endianess- or similar problem on my ARM-device.

I attached new complete logs and dumps to this mail and also uploaded them:
<http://milindur.de/~milindur/dl/dibbler/>. Dump and log belong to the same
transaction.

I tried the following:
* dibbler-server on debian-sid/armel (cvs-snapshot)
* Vista as client; tried twice, because logfile output regarding invalid
option differs:
  - Invalid option (type=7424, len=2048 received (msgtype=1). Message
dropped.
    -> dump-dibbler-cvs-with-vista-client-1.(txt|cap)
  - Invalid option (type=41984, len=2048 received (msgtype=1). Message
dropped.
    -> dump-dibbler-cvs-with-vista-client-2.(txt|cap)
* dibbler-client on debian-sid/x86 (0.7.1-2)
  -> dump-dibbler-cvs-with-dibbler-client-1.(txt|cap)

> And for disbelievers (and folks interested in details), here's the
> explanation:
> 
> [...]
> 
> Microsoft just puts domain name and terminates it with 0.
> That is *wrong*.

I looked at the RFCs and the tcpdumps. I think that you are right and
Microsoft has a bug here. I would not be surprised when this bug also
applies to the part where Vista reads the FQDN provided by the DHCP-server.

I made a quick search in the Microsoft Knowledge Base and could not find any
notice about this issue.

By the way, I am using an up-to-date Vista SP1 with all updates from Windows
Updates applied.
 
> Ok, now for the issue that you reported. I've said that I'm not 100%
> sure.
> Here are my doubts. The log you've provided states that dibbler-server
> received UDP packet with 79 bytes as payload:

The log showed an older transaction, the dumps provided in my last mail were
recorded later. Maybe these shorter packets belonged to my notebook which
used another configuration (fewer options, no fqdn option I think).

Regards,
Christian
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: dump-dibbler-cvs-with-dibbler-client-1.cap
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 2290 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://klub.com.pl/pipermail/dibbler/attachments/20080816/e8df9bde/attachment-0003.obj 
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: dump-dibbler-cvs-with-dibbler-client-1.txt
Url: http://klub.com.pl/pipermail/dibbler/attachments/20080816/e8df9bde/attachment-0003.txt 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: dump-dibbler-cvs-with-vista-client-1.cap
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 4572 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://klub.com.pl/pipermail/dibbler/attachments/20080816/e8df9bde/attachment-0004.obj 
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: dump-dibbler-cvs-with-vista-client-1.txt
Url: http://klub.com.pl/pipermail/dibbler/attachments/20080816/e8df9bde/attachment-0004.txt 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: dump-dibbler-cvs-with-vista-client-2.cap
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 4446 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://klub.com.pl/pipermail/dibbler/attachments/20080816/e8df9bde/attachment-0005.obj 
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded and charset-unspecified text was scrubbed...
Name: dump-dibbler-cvs-with-vista-client-2.txt
Url: http://klub.com.pl/pipermail/dibbler/attachments/20080816/e8df9bde/attachment-0005.txt 


More information about the Dibbler mailing list