[Dibbler] installing a package from lenny on an etch machine...

Rick Thomas rbthomas55 at pobox.com
Fri Aug 1 19:17:00 CEST 2008

I want to try running "dibbler" (a DHCPv6 service) on my little home
network.  It has a couple of Lenny machines and an Etch machine.
The Etch machine will be the server and the Lenny machines will be
clients.

Unfortunately, Dibbler is only available from the Lenny archives.

I tried copying the dibbler .deb onto the Etch machine and doing
"dpkg -i" on it, but this is what I got.

> # dpkg -i dibbler-doc_0.7.1-1_all.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package dibbler-doc.
> (Reading database ... 97676 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Unpacking dibbler-doc (from dibbler-doc_0.7.1-1_all.deb) ...
> Setting up dibbler-doc (0.7.1-1) ...
>

> # dpkg -i dibbler-server_0.7.1-1_powerpc.deb
> Selecting previously deselected package dibbler-server.
> (Reading database ... 97684 files and directories currently
> installed.)
> Unpacking dibbler-server (from dibbler-server_0.7.1-1_powerpc.deb) ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dibbler-server:
>  dibbler-server depends on libc6 (>= 2.7-1); however:
>   Version of libc6 on system is 2.3.6.ds1-13etch7.
>  dibbler-server depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1); however:
>   Version of libstdc++6 on system is 4.1.1-21.
> dpkg: error processing dibbler-server (--install):
>  dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
>  dibbler-server

As you can see, the "doc" package installed OK, but the "server"
package needs a later version of some basic C libraries.

I'd rather not upgrade the Etch machine to Lenny right now.  And I
really don't want to get into running an Etch Machine with Lenny
libraries.

So I suspect that what I really need to do is download the "dibbler"
source package and recompile it on Etch.

Can anybody tell me how to do that?  RTFM is easy if you know what
parts to read, so if you can point me to the right parts of the FM,
that will be great!

Thanks!

Rick