[Dibbler] About DNS update.

Llop Llop, Miguel Jorge mllop at scpec.net
Mon Oct 8 11:19:55 CEST 2007

-----Mensaje original-----
De: dibbler-bounces at klub.com.pl [mailto:dibbler-bounces at klub.com.pl] En nombre de Tomasz Mrugalski
Enviado el: sábado, 06 de octubre de 2007 3:11
Para: Dibbler users list
Asunto: Re: [Dibbler] About DNS update.

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 somebody known as Llop Llop, Miguel Jorge wrote:

> I have a dibbler-client running in a linux host with stateless
> configuration and a hostname know only by itself.
>
> How can I perform a DNS Update procedure?
There is no way you can perform the update. For several reasons:
1. you can perform DNS Update for a IP address obtained from DHCPv6 only
(i.e. DNS Update works for stateful DHCP only)
2. Client has to send its name to server as a hint. If server has this
name on a list of possible names to assign (and the name is available),
then it will be assigned to the client.

That is how DNS Updates are implemented in the dibbler. I suppose it
should be possible to obtain hostname from the system (right now it is
configured manualy in client.conf). That seems like a feature to
implement.

I think the same, hostname obtained from the system. The client sends its hostname to the server. The server performs the DNS procedure update. Suppose a network with 5.000 nodes (clients).

> How can I config the dibbler-client for execute a shell script after
> retrieve domain name?
Domain name is stored in client-IfaceMgr.xml in /var/lib/dibbler (Linux)
or directory where dibbler is installed. Unfortunately, there is no way to
execute script after the domain name is retrieved.

What is the role of scripts-dir option in the client.conf file?. How can I config the dibbler-client for execute a shell script?

Another question: Is it possible to establish a range of prefix for delegation?. These configurations don't work well because they are syntactically incorrect:

Pd-class{
   Pd-pool df00:0500:0110::/44
   Pd-pool df00:0500:0120::/44
   Pd-pool df00:0500:0130::/44
   Pd-length 44
}

Pd-class{
   Pd-pool df00:0500:0110::-df00:0500:0130::/44
   Pd-length 44
}

However, this configuration works fine:
Pd-class{
   Pd-pool df00:0500:0100::/40
   Pd-length 44
}

Hope that helps,
Tomek

Thank you very much, Mr. Mrugalski
Best Regards.
M. Llop

Este mensaje  de correo electrónico y sus documentos adjuntos están dirigidos  EXCLUSIVAMENTE a los destinatarios especificados. La información contenida puede ser CONFIDENCIAL y/o estar LEGALMENTE PROTEGIDA y no necesariamente refleja la opinión de ENDESA. Si usted recibe este mensaje por ERROR, por favor comuníqueselo inmediatamente al remitente y  ELIMÍNELO ya que usted  NO ESTA AUTORIZADO al uso, revelación, distribución, impresión o copia de toda o alguna parte de la información contenida. Gracias.

This e-mail message and any attached files are intended SOLELY for the addressee/s identified herein. It may contain CONFIDENTIAL and/or LEGALLY PRIVILEGED  information and may not necessarily represent the opinion of ENDESA. If you receive this message in ERROR, please immediately notify the sender and DELETE it since you ARE NOT AUTHORIZED  to use, disclose, distribute, print or copy all or part of the contained information. Thank you