[Dibbler] About DNS update.

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Sat Oct 6 03:11:06 CEST 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 somebody known as Llop Llop, Miguel Jorge wrote:

> I have a dibbler-client running in a linux host with stateless
> configuration and a hostname know only by itself.
>
> How can I perform a DNS Update procedure?
There is no way you can perform the update. For several reasons:
1. you can perform DNS Update for a IP address obtained from DHCPv6 only
(i.e. DNS Update works for stateful DHCP only)
2. Client has to send its name to server as a hint. If server has this
name on a list of possible names to assign (and the name is available),
then it will be assigned to the client.

That is how DNS Updates are implemented in the dibbler. I suppose it
should be possible to obtain hostname from the system (right now it is
configured manualy in client.conf). That seems like a feature to
implement.

> How can I config the dibbler-client for execute a shell script after
> retrieve domain name?
Domain name is stored in client-IfaceMgr.xml in /var/lib/dibbler (Linux)
or directory where dibbler is installed. Unfortunately, there is no way to
execute script after the domain name is retrieved.

Hope that helps,