[Dibbler] PD & Stateless

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Wed Mar 28 00:36:28 CEST 2007

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 somebody known as MINODIER David RD-RESA-LAN wrote:

> again, first of all, CONGRADS. You're doing guys a winderful work !
Thanks.

> Question: since a delegated prefix is "just" treated like another DHCP
> option, would it be possible to have a client and server running in
> stateless conf while requesting and providing a prefix ?
I don't think so. The whole difference between stateless and stateful mode
is that in stateless mode server don't have to remember any client state.
Obviously, that is not the case when client leases prefix. Therefore I
believe that prefix delegation is a STATEFUL autoconf. As such, this
option should be used in the SOLICIT, REQUEST, RENEW, REBIND and RELEASE
messages only.

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |