[Dibbler] DHCPv6 Client DUID question

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Jan 25 23:35:02 CET 2007

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 somebody known as Schauer, Paul E wrote:

> I am using the Dibbler DHCPv6 client to request a static IPv6 address
> from an ISC DHCPv6 server. The client is running on Red Hat Linux. I am
> seeing the following issue on eth0:

> This information changes between restarts of the client. Therefore,
> making a static IP reservation in the DHCPv6 server is impossible
> because the client DUID changes each time the client restarts.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior? Is there an explanation for the extra
> part of the client DUID in the message?
Yes. It is a bug. I has been fixed already and recent snapshots does not
send that extra data. For example:
http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/snapshots/2007-01-21-multiple-vendor-specs-in-one-request/

By the way: if you are after static reservation, you might also consider
adding following line to the client.conf:

duid-type ll

It will instruct dibbler client to generate DUID based on the link layer
address only and don't add timestamp. That will make duid predictable. For
default DUID type (link local+timestamp) you don't know client's DUID
until it is started for the first time.

It will only affect DUID creation procedure. If the client has DUID
generated already, it will be ignored completely.

Hope that helps,

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "We all know Linux is great...it does    |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  infinite loops in 5 seconds."           |