[Dibbler] Follow up on the topic of what RFCs are supported

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Sat Dec 16 13:41:27 CET 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 somebody known as Ian Phan wrote:

> Following up on the topic of what RFCs are supported, I noticed in
> Misc/DHCPConst.h dibbler supports NTP which is based on an expired
> draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-opt-timeconfig-02.txt  (or 03.txt.)   The official
> DHCP Option Codes from IANA for SNTP (OPTION_SNTP_SERVERS) is based on
> RFC4075.  Do you have any plan on supporting this RFC4075 in your next
> release?  What should I do, if I have an immediate need for the support
> for this RFC?  I can't simply change the constant from 40 to 31, since
> RFC4075 does not deal with OPTION_TIME_ZONE, can I?
Yes, I since the option format did not change, the timezone-03 -> RFC4075
transition is quite simple. In fact, I have just did this and the updated
version is available in the CVS repository. You can also go to the
http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/snapshots/ and there you will find
rfc4075-support directory. There are sources and Linux binaries. Of course
you can download newest version from the CVS anyway.

As for OPTION_TIME_ZONE - well, it's obsolete, but I don't intend to
remove support for it. However, if you don't like this option, you simply
not configure it. Server provides only those options, which are configured
AND are requested by clients. So you can safely just ignore that option.

> Are you aware of any other DHCPv6 server that supports RFC4075?
No, I just know dibbler.

> PS: I ran dibbler server on Fedora core 5.0 and dhcpv6 client on VxWorks
> 6.2 (with the patch to support RFC4075.)
Great! Too bad I don't have access to VxWorks. I would be great to port
dibbler to that platform.

Let me know if this works for you (especially if it doesn't).

Tomasz Mrugalski,              | " Talk is cheap. Show me the code."  |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |                     Linus Torvalds   |