[Dibbler] Problems with the FQDN-Snapshot

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Aug 31 13:02:18 CEST 2006

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 somebody known as ml2h2 at web.de wrote:

> I tried dibbler 0.5.0-RC1 and still FQDN doesn't work in our lab.
>
> I start dibbler client after dibbler server. As soon as a clients sends
>a dhcpv6 request the server stops with following message:
>> <Server Debug     FQDN: Performing DNS Update: Only PTR record.
Before Dibbler client (or server) attempts to perform DNS Update, it
prints what DNS server address it will use. Make sure that you are able to
ping that DNS server. When there is no routing configured, Dibbler might
get stuck in TCP retransmissions.

> Perhaps this help you:
> I tried to isolate the error and I found out that the server stops in
>file IfaceMgr/DNSUpdate.cpp (line 289 after: if (a->RCODE !=
>RCODE_NOERROR)).

Wow, nice! With this kind of bug report, I think I will be able to
fix this quickly. Today in the evening, perhaps.

Nevertheless, dibbler will only better handle this error condition, but it
will try to print what went wrong.

As a quick workaround, you can add following line at the beginning of the
get_oldDnsRR() method in IfaceMgr/DNSUpdate.cpp:272:

return 0;

It will skip part of the code, where dibbler tries to obtain old DNS
records. The next step, which dibbler does is to perform actual update. I
think it will fail too (as for some reason communication with DNS server
failing), but this time it will print, what went wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out. I also look forward for information if this
workaround helped or not.

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |