[Dibbler] Address Problem

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Thu Nov 10 20:01:13 CET 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005 somebody known as Manuel Sánchez Cuenca wrote:

> Hello all, I have installed dibbler-server-0.4.1 on a debian pc and
> dibbler-client-0.4.1 on a mandrake pc. The problem is that when I try to
> get an IPv6 address from the client, the server always give the client
> an address with a 128 bits netmask. I have configured the server to
It's a feature. Everything working as intended. DHCPv6 protocol is
designed to provide addresses and options. It is not supposed to configure
routing. To do that, one should use router advertisements. In Linux
system, radvd deamon does this job. It should be configured to configure
routing in client machines.

Just a few words of clarification. This feature seems weird and lots of
people has a problem with it. But that's the way DHCPv6 was designed.
There is no way to provide information about prefix to the clients using
DHCPv6.

Since many people consider this as an issue, I'll think about modifying
this behaviour. For example client will add addresses with /64 prefix. But
this feature will require checking some kind of option like
configure-routing-and-yes-i-dont-care-about-rfc3315-violation :)

What do you people think?

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |

p.s.
Sorry for delayed response. I was on a short trip and hadn't time to
access my e-mail.