[Dibbler] dibbler server generated IPv6 address doesn't communicating !

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Fri May 27 21:40:23 CEST 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 somebody known as santosh  wrote:

> Dear tomasz
> If I need to configure router to get the address then what is the
>advantage of DCHPv6 as autoconfiguration can automatically assign IPv6
>address.
That's a tough question. Basicaly, there are several major advantages:
1. As an administrator, you know the state of your hosts (up, down, when
they have renewed addresses and so on)
2. As an user, DHCPv6 is your only way to obtain various configuration
parameters, e.g. DNS servers addresses. This is required even when your
client wants only to browse web pages. If it is more capable host (e.g.
VoIP, time synchronisation, NIS or something), DHCPv6 will be able to
distribute those options for you.
3. Full DHCPv6 allows you to reconfigure all your hosts at any time. This
is called reconfigure option (Note that Dibbler does not support this
feature yet).
4. Using relays, you can have one server, which serves lots of links, both
local and remote.
5. There's prefix delegation mechanism. You can make your routers obtain
prefixes from DHCPv6 server. (This feature is also not yet supported in
Dibbler.)

As for this issue with missing routing... well, I agree with you. It's
weird. But that's the way it was designed and as an implementor I should
conform to the RFC rules.

Hope that helps.

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |