[Dibbler] dibbler server generated IPv6 address doesn't communicating !

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Fri May 27 10:53:52 CEST 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005 somebody known as santosh  wrote:

> I am configuring DHCPv6 on FC3(fedora core 3) platfrom using Dibbler - a
>portable DHCPv6 available at http://klub.com.pl/dhcpv6/ .For this I have
>installed FC3 on three machine and connected them with layer 2 switch.All
>the three machine have only IPv6 link local address(no IPv4 address).
IPv4 addresses are not important.

> but when I run ping6 command it give error that network unreachable.
You do not have routing configured. See below for explanations.

> Is this a bug ?
> or
> There is some implementation problem ?
None of the above. DHCPV6 is intended to grant addresses and options, NOT
TO CONFIGURE ROUTING. See first question in the Frequently Asked Question
in Dibbler SUer's Guide. In short: Dibbler (or any other properly
implemeneted DHCPv6 server/client) grants and address, but does not
configure routing. To configure routing, your router should send Router
Advetisements.

> Santosh yadav
BTW: Where are you from?

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |