[Dibbler] Relay Configuration Problem

Jimmy Ott admin at onnet.ch
Tue May 3 16:03:14 CEST 2005

it's a bit difficult to explain
i have this defaults from the project manager, and can't change the
layout, because a big part is configuring cisco routers :) the seminar
is nearly complete, DHCPv6 is only an additional goody, so i can't
change the setup. but i'm thinking about a separate network layout for
DHCPv6 education. thanks for your input

now, i've choosen your first approach, to make a node as relay which is
communicating via unicast to the dhcp server.

if you look at the picture mentioned before, the relay and one client is
in the subnet fd00:0:0:1::
the server is in the third one, and has a static ipv6 address
fd00:0:0:3::a, like described on the picture.

the client now sends a dhcpv6 solicitation message, the relay receive
this, and try to relay to fd00:0:0:3::a, but nothing happens, i also
don't see a packet when i trace with ethereal besides the IPv6
Solicitation Packet from the Client. the client try in different
intervals, as specified, to get an ip via the relay....

on the top of the relay log i see something very strange:
32:30 Notice    Creating srv unicast (fe80::200:39ff:fe24:d1e1) socket
on the Local Area Connection/5 interface.
32:30 Notice    Creating clnt multicast (ff02::1:2) socket on the Local
Area Connection/5 interface.

does the relay try to reach the routeable multicast address
fd00:0:0:3::a via it's link-local address????

on the server, i'm using the cvs version.
attached are the configs and the logs.

thank you very much for your professional help!!
cheers jimmy