[Dibbler] Relay Configuration Problem

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Tue May 3 14:43:00 CEST 2005

On Tue, 3 May 2005 somebody known as Jimmy Ott wrote:

> we need this implementation to show on a seminar how IPv6 works, and
> also how DHCPv6 with the Relay functionality works. So your second email
> doesn't bring me further.
I understand. In that case I suggest you to show some simple
configuration: client-relay-server or client-relay1-relay2-server, with
relays/routers set up on some linux boxes.

> we are using hardware cisco routers, so the relay functionality does not
> run on them.
Too bad. I know that cisco provides limited DHCPv6 support. I'm not sure,
but if I recall correctly, prefix delegation is the only supported option.

So you say your routers are hardware ones. Hmmm, that limits some options.
To provide most elegant solution (which is also best from the educational
point of view), you could replace R1, R2 and R3 with one Linux box with 3
interfaces, radvd (to broadcast router advertisements) and dibbler-relay
installed. Or 3 linux boxes if those links are physically distant.

As for configuring relays with one interface... it kinda spoils the whole
relay idea. And is definetly not recommended as a learning example. I
consider this as a hack, a workaround, not a standard usage. Your students
can get wrong impression that relaying is about modifying packet's
addresses. I belive that relays were designed to work on routers. You will
also have a problem describing interface-id idea as in this scenario both
source and destination interfaces will be the same.

If you require any more assistance, let me know.

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |