[Dibbler] Question concerning preferred and valid lifetime

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Mon Mar 21 00:48:55 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 somebody known as Tomasz Mrugalski wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 somebody known as Harald Schwier wrote:
> Yeah, it's a bug, but you have sent this bug report to the wrong project.
> Contact Linus Torvalds :)
> Seriously, there is currently no way to add dynamic address with finite
> lifetimes in linux kernels. Address aging mechanism is implemented in linux
> kernel, but there is no API to take advantage of it. Interesting note: when
> host recevied Router Advertisement, address with decreasing preferred/valid
> lifetime is added to the interface.
>
> I have checked it serveral months ago, and I'm trying to look at changelog
> each time new kernel is released, but there seems nothing new in this matter.
> I'm not very experienced with low level kernel programming, so I can't fix
> this myself... yet. Of course, there's possibility that I'm wrong and this
> thing can be done. If that is so, I'd like to take a look and some code which
> adds a dynamic IPv6 address.
I have contacted USAGI people (a project which aims at implementing better
IPv6-related stuff in Linux kernel) and they have suggested that adding
dynamic addresses with finite can be done. So I shall investigate that
matter. I'll keep you posted if there will be any developments.

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |