[Dibbler] DHCPv6 over 2 Relays

Harald Schwier harald.schwier at web.de
Fri Mar 18 10:35:41 CET 2005

Hallo,
Thank you for you quick answer.

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 somebody known as Harald Schwier wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> > i have just tried dibbler 0.4.0 and first of all: GREAT WORK!!!
> Thanks.
>
> > I was able to configure the server and client to communicate over 1 relay agent, but not over 2 relays.
> > The first Relay sends the relay-forward message to the ALL_DHCP_SERVERS Address ff05::1:3,
> > but the second Relay is not listening to this address. After modifying the first Relay to send
> > the relay-forward message to the ALL_DHCP_RELAY_AGENTS_AND_SERVERS address
> > ff02::1:2, the second Relay segfaults. :-(
> Wow. It's nice that even 1 relay works. :) I have not tested 2 relays
> configuration. Relay (and server too) code was written to handle up to
> 32 relays, but I had not tested it, mainly because of lack of equipment.
> Relay was developed on 2 computers - one was acting as relay, and the
> second one as both server and client.
>
> I belive that using 2 relays is not necessary. You can configure server to
> use global address, assign global address to relay and configure relay to
> forward packets to server's global address.

That may work. But it is not so nice to config such a large number of
global unicast addresses (in a bigger Network) for stateless (and statefull) DHCPv6,
especially when Network Renumbering is necessary.

> Nevertheless, since RFC says that is a legal situation and you want this
> feature to work, I'll have to fix it. But it will take some time. I have
> to read RFC once more to clarify my understanding of various relay
> aspects.
> Can you send me all used config files, so I can investigate this issue?

#### O.K. first the Servers Config File: ####
log-level 7
log-mode short
iface vmnet1
{
 T1 10000
 T2 20000
 option dns-server 2002:924b:51bd:1:250:56ff:fec0:1
 option domain ipv6.kammer.uni-hannover.de
 class
  {
   pool fda5:b08e:dbb0:1::1-fda5:b08e:dbb0:1::ff
  }
}
iface relay1
{
 relay vmnet1
 interface-id 31
 T1 10000
 T2 20000
 class
  {
   pool fda5:b08e:dbb0:2::1-fda5:b08e:dbb0:2::ff
  }

#### Configuration of the first Relay (as seen from the server) #####
log-level 8
iface eth0
{
 # Interface conected with the Server
 server multicast yes
}

iface eth1
{
 interface-id 21
 client multicast yes
 client unicast 2002:924b:51bd:2:250:56ff:fe3f:fdb6
}

#### Configuration of the second Relay (as seen from the server)#####
log-level 8
iface eth0
{
 Interface conected with the Client
 interface-id 31
 client multicast yes
 client unicast 2002:924b:51bd:3:20c:29ff:fea2:ee37
}

iface eth1
{
 Interface conected with the first Relay
 server multicast yes
}

Using the Configuration, the second relay agent sends the  relay-forward message to the
ALL_DHCP_SERVERS Address ff05::1:3 which the first relay agent is not listening to.
After modifying the second relay to use  ff02::1:2, the first relay segfaults.

Bye,
Harald Schwier