[Dibbler] sit0 problems under Linux

Tomasz Mrugalski thomson at klub.com.pl
Sat Dec 25 02:13:23 CET 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 somebody known as Naiying Koong wrote:

> Hello!Sir:
> I've reached the final step of testing DHCPv6 on my IPv6 environment,
> but I have a little problem. After downloading the latest version
> 0.3.0, I can't run it up on my linux client! The error message is
> "Interface sit0/3 does not appear to have any link-layer address. Do
> you have IPv6 enabled in your system?" ,"Fatal error during IfaceMgr
> initialization". I'm sure that I've enabled IPv6 module on my system.
> I can see the sit0 interface after entering "ifconfig", and it has
> inet6 addr ::127.0.0.1/96 Scope:Unknown. Doesn't it work with the
> dibble program? and Do I have to set any additional setting?Thanks a
> lot!
I have checked that and there is a problem with interface initialization.
Dibbler assumes that each interface has to have link local address. It
appears to be too broad assumption. And you have found a counterexample.
Not configured and downed sit0 interface does not have link local address.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have placed bugs #90 and #91 in the
bugzilla. I consider this rather major problem, so expect 0.3.1
bugfix release in a relatively short time.

--
Tomasz Mrugalski,              | "I think there is a world market for     |
thomson(at)klub(dot)com(dot)pl |  about five computers."                  |